Hocus Pocus Alfie Atkins
Hocus Pocus Alfie Atkins is a charming children's game for iOS and Android. It's set in the Alfie Atkins universe created by Gunilla Bergström in 1972, and builds on the book with the same name.
Alfie Atkins is a boy created by the swedish writer Gunilla Bergström in 1972. He's an ordinary boy, living with his father in an apartment somewhere in Sweden. There's never any mentioning of Alfie having or have had a mother, but parents of both sexes can identify with the father. Alfie has an imaginary friend called Malcolm and a couple of real ones too.
During the 41 years Alfie has been around, Gunilla has written 24 books. There has also been made a couple of TV series and computer games too.
When I started working on this project, I was pleasantly surprised to see the new visual style. It has been modernized from the old TV series, and in a very delicate way. It's still true to the original universe so you instantly recognize it, even if it's new at the same time. That sounds like something Jony Ive could have said.
Hocus Pocus Alfie Atkins contains quite a few mini games, and they're all tied together in a point and click adventure game. The story of the adventure game naturally follows the movie, but we sprinkled it with smaller incidents so the game would extend the Alfie universe and give players a richer experience. The various incidents, such as a the prank calling outside the apartment, adds to the interactivity and things you can discover during your adventure.
I was hired as a lead programmer. I started working on the project in March 2013 and spent about 2 months doing research and laying the technical ground work. In the beginning I also helped Are on the game design of all the mini games.
- Are Sundnes
- Project lead. Did some programming, set up all of the adventure game’s story, wrote the manuscript, handled the voice over studio sessions and a whole lot of other things.
- Terje Gran
- Programmer on some of the mini games.
- Alexander Fornæss
- Programmer of several mini games, the tree hut, intro sequence and lots of other things.
- Rolf Hove
- Animator and graphics guy.
- Jørgen Djuve
- King of Jira. Made sure we all stayed on track.
Hocus Pocus Alfie Atkins was made by Hyper Games.
Thank you Hyper Games
It's been a pleasure working with this team, and I had lots of fun building this game. I'm honored to have been asked participate in making a game with a character such as Alfie Atkins. I've grown up with that guy, and now I had the pleasure of contributing to keep extending the Alfie universe and modernize it for new generations.
- Aftenposten (the largest Norwegian newspaper) gave it 5/6. Albert Åberg briljerer som dataspill.
- Pappas Appar (the biggest site for reviews of children games in Sweden) gave it 5/5. Hokus Pokus Alfons Åberg.
- Barnevakten (The baby sitter) recommends the game. Hokus Pokus Albert Åberg.
- Adressa (a newspaper from mid-Norway) gave it 5/6. Sjarmerende Albert Åberg.
- bestappsforkids.com awarded it 4.5/5, Highly recommended. Hocus Pocus Alfie Atkins.
- The iPhone mom gave it 4,5/5. Hocus Pocus Alfie Atkins review.